time and work together (hauler/miner, explorer/combat associate, trade alts in trade hubs) a form of metagaming that is “ruining the game”?“
articles at the bottom of this post!
When I first started playing I quickly realized how difficult it would be to keep my pvp character in a ship considering the sheer number of ship losses one will amass both learning and practicing PvP. Within my first couple of months I created my second account, a mining alt. Over the months it’s been both a god send and a bane having two accounts.
For one, it doubles the cost of play. Having and paying for two accounts truly turns Eve into a hobby more than just a casual game. Second, the cost to actually train that character up can be quite expensive. To simply get that character in a Hulk with T2 fits will run over 250+mil with the cost of the ship, learning books for both the exhumer and learning skills, and implants to train faster.
You have to ask yourself if there are certain professions in this game that just plain flat out require two accounts to work and be fun. Take capital pilots for instance. Do you really want to trust someone with creating a cyno field for you to jump or have to wait for them to show up and hope they do it right? Most Cap pilots I know have a cyno alt who’s only job is to creaty cyno fields they way the Cap pilot wants. Then of course there are pirates and pvpers. Many whom I know have alts that trade or mine, just to keep the isk flowing in for those inevitable losses. Many second accounts are the result of players who are 3-8 months into the game who realize they didn’t optimize their current characters attributes when creating it and now are suffering with training time and maybe spending to much time not focusing on their profession. This happens to many new players who just don’t know what everything means when they are in that character creation system for the first time. They don’t want to give up their current character due to the simple fact that they have SOME SP at least so they create a second account and skill up a new character the right way.
There are a number of reasons to have an alt, but there are certainly many people who don’t. Many casual players just find it overkill and would much rather spend their time and isk on bettering their main character.
Is it meta-gaming? I’m not sure. There are those who beleive that it’s unfair. But in reality, like I stated above, some professions gain a lot from having another account. CCP seems to have no stance on the subject, though having no rules regarding it might be a stance in and of itself.
- Epic Misadventures, This is my Alt – There are many like it but this one is mine.
- Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah, I Missed This Month’s Blog Banter!
- A Mule in EvE, Meta what? Is it hurting EvE?
- Morphisat’s EVE Online Blog, Me, Myself and I
- One Man And His Spaceship, Me and My Shadow
- Ombeve, Blog Banter edition 5
- Diving into PsycheDiver’s Psyche, CK’s Blog Banter #5: Everybody Needs Somebody
- Dense Veldspar, Blog Banter
- Ecliptic Rift, OOC: Blog Banter #5 Metagaming
- The Ralpha Dogs, Me, Myself and I
- Mad Rant, “Blog Banter – It’s my party, and I’ll alt if I want to….”
- EVE Chick, The Handicapper General
- The Wandering Druid of Tranquility, “…you see mate, it’s a matter of leverage, savvy?…”
- New Eden Diaries, It’s only a game
- Oz’s House of the Evil Dead, If You Can’t Ride Two Horses At Once, You Shouldn’t Be In The Circus
- Diving into PsycheDiver’s Psyche, Everybody Needs Somebody
- CrazyKinux’s Musing, Leave what you know at the door please!
- Diary of a Pod Pilot, [OOC] EVE Blog Banter #5 Metagaming
- Roc’s Ramblings, February Blog Banter – Meta Me
- more to come over the next few days!…